If you love caring for animals and working with customers, you may be a great candidate for Carrington College’s Veterinary Technology program.
About the Program
What Will I Learn
Graduates will have the entry-level skills and knowledge required for the modern veterinary practice. The core program is focused on companion animals, but all facets of veterinary medicine, including large animal medicine, biomedical research and industry-related topics are emphasized. Students should note that the curriculum is not intended as a pre-veterinary program
The Veterinary Technology program at Carrington College is a balance of theory and practical instruction, with courses in animal anatomy and physiology, biology and chemistry. The program includes an externship, allowing students to practice their skills in a veterinary setting.
This program prepares students to work in veterinary clinics, rescue leagues, and at colleges and universities. In Carrington College’s program, students combine classroom work with hands-on training to learn the skills needed to work in the field. Upon completion of the Veterinary Technology program, graduates will be able to:
- Perform a variety of administrative, clinical, nursing and surgical assisting procedures in a veterinary medical setting
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking, work collaboratively, communicate clearly and act professionally
Veterinary Technology students can graduate in as few as 19 months. Students who graduate from the program are prepared for the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE).
The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program
We’re proud to offer our accredited program in veterinary technology at seven locations.
- Citrus Heights, California
- Ontario, California
- Pleasant Hill, California
- Sacramento, California
- San Jose, California
- San Leandro, California
- Stockton, California
To learn more about how you can attend Carrington’s Veterinary Technology program, request more information.
The job outlook for veterinary technicians is incredibly strong. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for veterinary technologists and technicians are expected to increase 19% between 2018 and 2028. This is much faster than average for all occupations.1 In May 2019, the national median pay for veterinary technicians was $35,320 per year or $16.98 per hour. For detailed regional information please visit https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292056.htm#st
And there are some reasons for this growth, including:
- Clinics are relying on veterinary technicians to provide more general care and lab work so they can operate more efficiently.
- Veterinarians will want to hire veterinary technicians to perform the complex work a veterinary assistant might not be qualified to do.
- A demand for veterinary technicians in areas like food and animal safety is expected to grow, helping prevent foodborne contaminants and diseases in animals.
Veterinary technicians work in a variety of settings, with many working in private veterinary clinics and animal hospitals. Other places veterinary technicians can work include educational institutions like colleges, and social advocacy organizations1.
Program Specific Disclosures
The mission of the Veterinary Technology program is to provide local and global veterinary communities with ethical graduates committed to lifelong learning and professional development. Graduates will acquire mastery of entry level skills and knowledge required for the contemporary veterinary practice. The core program focus is companion animal practice, but all facets of veterinary medicine, including large animal medicine, biomedical research, and industry related topics are emphasized
|Three-year pass rate data for first-time test takers on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) based on a July 1 to June 30 reporting year (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2020)|
|Citrus Heights||Ontario||Pleasant Hill||Sacramento||San Jose||San Leandro||Stockton|
|Number of first-time candidates that have taken the VTNE||101||177||106||103||97||80||96|
|Three-Year Pass Rate||78%||63%||55%||48%||62%||64%||41%|
Cost & Financial Aid
Education is a major investment, but it’s an investment in your future. Every student comes to Carrington with unique financial needs. Carrington College is committed to helping you achieve your education goals. We participate in most financial assistance programs, both federal and state, as well as private financing. Each program has different requirements and application instructions. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
For complete information on current tuition costs, please see the Academic Catalog.
The best way for us to understand your financial needs is to meet in person. Call (602) 492-1086 to set an appointment with our Student Finance Department so we can help you develop your personalized financial plan to achieve your educational goals.
Student Life at Carrington College
Student Life at Carrington College
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed.
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid2.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you3.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Accreditation and Approvals
Carrington College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC/WASC), 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, 415 506 0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at http://www.accjc.org/.
The Veterinary Technology program at Carrington College is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association as a program for educating veterinary technicians, https://www.avma.org/education/accreditation-veterinary-technicians.
For comprehensive information on Carrington’s accreditation and approvals, visit carrington.edu/accreditation.
* The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Veterinary Technologists and Technicians, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/veterinary-technologists-and-technicians.htm (visited December 13, 2019). Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2018-2028 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
- Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
- Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.