Prepare for a job as a massage therapist in as little as nine months.
About the Program
What Will I Learn
Students in Carrington’s programs participate in technical coursework to prepare them for entry into the career field they’ve chosen.
Technical coursework in Carrington College’s Massage Therapy program covers anatomy and physiology, terminology, function and structure of the body’s muscular, skeletal and internal systems, and ethical, legal and business concerns.
Students in Carrington’s Massage Therapy program will also complete an externship to get real-world experience in the world of professional massage.
Your hands, your heart and your passion are part of who you are. They’re powerful tools that can change a person’s life. With the touch of a hand, you can melt away the stress of a bad day. It’s time to learn how to use that power.
The Massage Therapy program at Carrington College was designed with you in mind. Our qualified instructors with real-world experience are here to teach you the skills you need to succeed as a massage therapist. Our Certificate of Achievement program includes classroom instruction and hands-on practice. You’ll complete an externship, giving you real world experience before you start your career. We’re setting you up for success. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:
- Talk with clients about problems with stress, pain and their medical history
- Develop and propose client treatment plans
- Massage the muscles and soft tissues to treat medical conditions, injuries or to maintain overall wellness
- Maintain records of prognosis, treatment, response and progress
- Instruct clients about techniques for postural improvement, stretching, relaxation and rehabilitation exercise.
Upon completion of the Massage Therapy program, graduates will be able to:
- Perform massage procedures competently and safely in a professional environment
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and professionalism
Student Life at Carrington College
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed.
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid.2
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Program Specific Disclosures
Attendance and/or graduation from a California Massage Therapy Council approved school does not guarantee certification by CAMTC. Applicants for certification shall meet all requirements as listed in California Business and Professions Code section 4600 et.seq. Carrington College, registration number 043, is authorized to provide massage therapy instruction with the State of New Mexico Massage Therapy Board under the registration category RMTS.
Massage therapists work in an array of settings such as spas, franchised clinics, physicians’ offices, hotels and fitness centers. Some massage therapists also travel to clients’ homes or offices to give a massage, while others work out of their own homes. Wherever the treatment is delivered, clients view the massage experience as a positive contribution to their overall health.
The job market for massage therapists is growing and strong. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the employment of massage therapists is expected to grow 32% between 2020-2030. That’s much faster than the average growth rate for all occupations which is 8%3. And there are some reasons for this growth, including:
- More states are adopting licensing requirements and standards for therapists, so more people are utilizing massage to treat pain and improve overall wellness.
- As more health care providers understand the benefits of massage, demand will likely increase as these services become part of treatment plans.
- Massage offers specific benefits for particular groups of people whose continued demand for massage services (like sports teams) will lead to overall growth for the occupation.
The number of massage clinic franchises has increased in recent years3.
Cost & Financial Aid
Education is a major investment, but it’s an investment in your future. Every student comes to Carrington with unique financial needs. Carrington College is committed to helping you achieve your education goals. We participate in most financial assistance programs, both federal and state, as well as private financing. Each program has different requirements and application instructions. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
For complete information on current tuition costs, please see the Academic Catalog.
The best way for us to understand your financial needs is to meet in person. Call (602) 492-1086 to set an appointment with our Student Finance Department so we can help you develop your personalized financial plan to achieve your educational goals.
Accreditation and Approvals
Carrington College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC/WASC), 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, 415-506-0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at http://www.accjc.org/.
For comprehensive information on Carrington’s accreditation and approvals, visit carrington.edu/accreditation.
Read Our Career Guide On Massage Therapy
Massage therapists help soothe physical aches and pains and bring relaxation to their clients. If you want to work in a career where you help people, and if you’re interested in anatomy, a career as a licensed massage therapist may be right for you.
- Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program.
- Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Massage Therapists, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/massage-therapists.htm (visited October 05, 2021). Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2020-2030 and may not reflect local economic conditions.