Earn your Associate of Science Degree and prepare for the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) credentialing exams.*
About the Program
What Will I Learn
Respiratory Care students at Carrington College establish a solid base of knowledge and continue on into focused coursework, hands-on clinical instruction, and practice in a computerized simulation lab. The program includes clinical practice in which students apply their skills and knowledge to real-world situations in actual health care environments.
Courses cover medical terminology, patient assessment, a variety of respiratory therapies, ventilation concepts and applications, and case analysis and management.
In addition to technical coursework, this degree program will include a broad base of general education course offerings.
Practicing under the direction of a physician, respiratory therapists perform therapeutic respiratory treatments and diagnostic procedures. They are required to exercise considerable independent clinical judgment in the care of patients with breathing or other cardiopulmonary disorders. Respiratory therapists (respiratory therapy technicians) consult with physicians and other health care professionals to help develop and modify patient care plans.
Upon completion of the Respiratory Care program, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate skill in patient examination, assessment, treatment recommendation, and appropriate therapeutic intervention of various cardiopulmonary diseases
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and professionalism
Student Life at Carrington College
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed.
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid.1
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you.2
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Respiratory care practitioners use their knowledge and expertise under the direction of a physician to bring relief to patients with breathing impairments. Between 2018 and 2028, employment for respiratory therapists is expected to grow 21% nationally, much faster than average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.3
The national median salary in May 2018 for a respiratory therapist was $60,280 per year or $28.98 per hour.3 For detailed regional information please visit https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291126.htm#st.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, growth in the middle-aged and older population will lead to an increased incidence of respiratory conditions such as pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and other disorders that can permanently damage the lungs or restrict lung function. The aging population will, in turn, lead to an increased demand for respiratory therapy services and treatments, mostly in hospitals.
Program Level Outcomes
Breathe Life Into Your New Career
Carrington College’s Respiratory Care program is built to provide you the skills and training you need to be able to:
- Make recommendations for therapeutic and diagnostic intervention and treatment of various cardiopulmonary diseases
- Administer medical gases and oxygen therapy
- Exhibit proper techniques for emergency medicine, resuscitation, intubation, airway clearance, and tracheotomy care
- Sit for the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) credential exams, such as the Therapist Multiple-Choice (TMC) exam and the Clinical Simulation Exam(CSE)
The goals of Carrington College’s Respiratory Care program are to prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
Cost & Financial Aid
Education is a major investment, but it’s an investment in your future. Every student comes to Carrington with unique financial needs. Carrington College is committed to helping you achieve your education goals. We participate in most financial assistance programs, both federal and state, as well as private financing. Each program has different requirements and application instructions. Student loans, grants, and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
For complete information on current tuition costs per credit hour please see the Academic Catalog.
The best way for us to understand your financial needs is to meet in person. Call (602) 492-1086 to set an appointment with our Student Finance Department so we can help you develop your personalized financial plan to achieve your educational goals.
Program Specific Disclosures
LICENSURE EXAM PASS RATES
This program prepares graduates for an occupation in which passage of a California licensing examination is required. The link below shows exam passage rates for the most recent available year. If you have questions regarding the calculation of these rates please contact the agency listed. Respiratory Board of California https://www.rcb.ca.gov/applicants/forms/pass_fail_18.pdf Click here for outcomes data from the Respiratory Care program over a three-year time period, as reported in the 2017 CoARC Annual Report of Current Status. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented. Programmatic outcomes data reported on the CoARC website include:
- 3-year time period being reported
- CRT credentialing success
- RRT credentialing success
- Achievement of the high cut score on the TMC Exam (beginning 2018)
- Retention (Attrition)
- Job placement
- Overall Graduate Satisfaction
- Overall Employer Satisfaction
- on-time graduation rate
- Total number of program enrollees
- Total number of program graduates
- Maximum Annual Enrollment
Accreditation and Approvals
Carrington College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC/WASC), 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, 415 506 0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the US Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at accjc.org.
The Respiratory Care Associate of Science degree programs at the Las Vegas (#200536), Phoenix (#200390) and Pleasant Hill campuses (#200542) are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care: http://www.coarc.com.
For comprehensive information on Carrington’s accreditation and approvals, visit carrington.edu/accreditation.
*Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program.
**Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program.
- Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
- Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Respiratory Therapists, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/respiratory-therapists.htm (visited January 06, 2020). Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2018-2028 and may not reflect local economic conditions.