Earn your Medical Assisting Certificate of Achievement and prepare for the National Healthcareer Association Clinical Medical Assistant Certificate (CCMA) exam.*
About the Program
What Will I Learn in the Medical Assisting Program?
Upon completion of the Medical Assisting program, graduates will be able to:
- Perform clerical functions, bookkeeping functions and process insurance claims within the medical office setting
- Conduct a variety of diagnostic tests using equipment, materials, and techniques within the scope of practice
- Perform and assist with routine patient procedures and care as they relate to a medical setting
- Maintain supplies and equipment as it relates to a medical setting
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and professionalism
Carrington College’s Medical Assisting program is available at a number of locations. To learn more about each location, explore their location pages.
Student Life at Carrington College
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed.
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid.1
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you.2
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Program Specific Disclosures
Based on the most recent annual report submitted to the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB) and the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP):
- Citrus Heights: 63.2% (2017)
- Pleasant Hill: 65.3% (2017)
- Portland: 81.9% (2018)
- Sacramento: 67.1% (2017)
- San Jose: 77.2% (2017)
- San Leandro: 67.8% (2017)
- Stockton: 62.9% (2017)
Medical Assistant Career Opportunities
Medical assistants aid doctors by performing basic clinical procedures and handling a variety of administrative duties. Between 2018 and 2028 the employment of medical assistants is expected to grow 23%, much faster than the average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.3
Medical assistants typically work full time. Some work weekends, evenings, or holidays to help cover shifts in facilities that remain open 24/7.
Cost & Financial Aid
Carrington College is committed to helping you achieve your education goals. Education is a major investment, but it’s an investment in your future. We participate in most financial assistance programs, both federal and state, as well as private financing. Each program has different requirements and application instructions. Student loans, grants, and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
For complete information on current tuition costs, please see the Academic Catalog.
The best way for us to understand your financial needs is to meet in person. Call (602) 492-1086 to set an appointment with our Student Finance Department so we can help you develop your personalized financial plan to achieve your educational goals.
Accreditation and Approvals
Carrington College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC/WASC), 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, 415 506 0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the US Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at accjc.org.
The Medical Assisting certificate programs at the Boise, Mesa, Phoenix, Spokane and Tucson campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES), 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 N, Falls Church, VA 22043, 703 917 9503. The Bureau’s web address is: abhes.org.
The Medical Assisting certificate programs at the Citrus Heights, Pleasant Hill, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, San Leandro and Stockton campuses are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (CAAHEP, 25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158, Clearwater, FL 33763, 727 210 2350, caahep.org).
For comprehensive information on Carrington’s accreditation and approvals, visit carrington.edu/accreditation.
*The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program.
**Associate degree is only available to CA residents
- Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
- Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Medical Assistants, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm (visited December 13, 2019). Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2018-2028 and may not reflect local economic conditions.