Veterinary Technology is a profession well suited for animal lovers; but students thinking about joining our Sacramento Veterinary Technology degree program need to know that you have to be tough as well as compassionate; it can be a physically demanding job that is also tough on your emotions at times.
A Veterinary Technician, working under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian, performs a variety of tasks in a veterinary practice, delivering quality care to animals and providing support and education to their owners. Vet Techs are versatile employees who assist with surgical nursing, carry out lab procedures and help to keep the front office working efficiently by undertaking office administration tasks.
So if you love animals (but do have a tough streak!), live in Sacramento, CA, and are looking for vet tech schools, consider the Veterinary Technology program at our Sacramento campus because:
- It culminates in an Associate of Science degree in Veterinary Technology
- We prepare graduates for the California Registered Veterinary Technician State Board Exam*
- The program mixes practical instruction with classroom theory and hands-on experience
- Students participate in an externship at a veterinary care practice in Sacramento
- Graduates are eligible to apply for entry-level positions in places like vets’ offices, animal hospitals, shelters, and more
Skills-based Veterinary Technology classes in Sacramento
The Veterinary Technology degree program at our Sacramento campus does stress the fundamentals of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and biology, but it is not intended as a pre-veterinary program. But because hands-on care is so central to the animal care profession, our Sacramento Veterinary Technology faculty do employ a skills-based approach to their instruction.
In addition to necessary formal classroom instruction, our students get plenty of laboratory practice on both live animals and animal simulators. Real world clinical experience in the field is also a vital component of building the skills of our Sacramento Veterinary Technology students; it is indispensible preparation for a career in veterinary health care. Upon graduation, Sacramento Vet Tech graduates should have the skills and the confidence to:
- Collect patient information and maintain medical records
- Assist in the performance of diagnostic and surgical procedures
- Undertake lab procedures
- Help with radiography and dental prophylaxes
- Demonstrate their critical thinking and information management skills
Veterinary Technology is projected to grow 30%! That spells opportunity Sacramento!
Veterinary Technology is a growing profession; according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of veterinary technologists and technicians is expected to grow by 30% between 2012 and 2022, that’s much faster than the average for all occupations.**
If you are up to the challenge of this demanding, but rewarding profession, join our Veterinary Technology classes enrolling soon in Sacramento, CA. Talk to a Carrington College Enrollment Services Representative today.
Click here for three-year pass rate data for first-time test takers on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) based on a July 1 to June 30 reporting year (2011-2014).