Medical Administrative Assistants are the face of the practice. You’re the first person most patients get to speak to, and the smiling face that greets them when they arrive. You’re the one they trust with their medical records, and to help them make their next appointment. In Carrington College’s Medical Administrative Assistant program, you’ll get the classroom education and hands-on experience you need. You’ll also complete an externship, giving you real-world experience before you graduate. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
14% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)2
About 9 months (Certificate)3
Less than 2 years (Associate Degree)3
1. Program availability varies by location
3. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Classes start as soon as November 25, 2016*
Which Locations Offer the Medical Administrative Assistant Program?
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Medical Administrative Assistant?
No matter what career path you choose, you’ll have to put in the work to reach your goals. That goes for medical administrative assistants too…no one can guarantee you’ll get a job, but the opportunities are out there. According to ONet OnLine, the need for medical secretaries will continue to grow. In fact, it projects the addition of about 163,800 jobs between 2014 and 20244.
Where can you work as a Medical Administrative Assistant?
At Carrington College, we’ll teach you the skills you need to prepare for an entry level career as a medical administrative assistant. With the knowledge you’ll gain through your education at Carrington College, you could work in many different places, including:
As a medical administrative assistant working in a dental office, you’ll answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate staff. You’ll also be responsible for scheduling and confirming patient appointments and greeting those patients when they arrive.
In a doctor’s office, medical administrative assistants greet patients and speak with them about the purpose of their visit. They also maintain medical records and compile and record medical charts, reports or correspondence.
Medical administrative assistants working in a medical office could be responsible for maintaining medical records, technical library or correspondence files. They might also schedule tests or procedures for patients based on physician orders5.
Your Career is Right Around the Corner.
- Maintain, update and manage patient records in a secure manner
- Use and maintain automated systems critical to medical office functions
- Evaluate and launch new technological innovations
- Regularly interact with patients, families, physicians and other health care professionals
iPad mini™ in the Classroom6
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™7. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
6. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
7. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid8.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you9.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential10 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
8. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
9. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
10. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.