*Formerly known as the Health Care Administration program.
You excel at making plans. You can multi-task with the best of them. You thrive when you’re in the middle of the action. You are also a people person who is always quick with a smile. If these statements describe you, then there’s a good chance the Medical Administrative Assistant program is right for you.
When you earn your Certificate and/or Associate degree in our Medical Administrative Assistant program, you can acquire the skills needed to coordinate the front office activities for a healthcare facility. The front office is the nerve center of any medical practice and it requires individuals who are process-oriented and can pay careful attention to details.
The Medical Administrative Assistant program at Carrington College® is designed to help you build the practical knowledge, understanding and specialized skills that can help you succeed in your career. As a student, you can experience:
- A combination of classroom instruction and hands-on training
- Extensive use of computers that provides a wonderful opportunity to become proficient in the latest technology
- Real-world practice during an externship at an approved healthcare facility
Your opportunities in the Medical Administrative Assistant program
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for graduates in this field is expected to grow 22% from 2012 to 2022.1 With the education you receive from Carrington College, you will be prepared for an entry-level position managing manual and automated operations for the front office of a medical practice. Your career path can lead you to employment in a variety of health care environments, such as clinics, hospitals, residential care facilities and offices of health care professionals including doctors, dentists, optometrists and chiropractors.
A step-by-step approach for building the skills you’ll need
You’ll begin the program by building a foundation of knowledge and then develop specific skills vital to your future career. Classes will focus on two spheres of knowledge. The first concerns subjects such as medical terminology, anatomy, health insurance and medical law and ethics. The second concentrates on a variety of topics including specific billing systems, medical coding, scheduling and business communication.
Once you complete the Medical Administrative Assistant program, you can be ready to use your skills and knowledge to help plan, coordinate and supervise the delivery of health care from the front office, with responsibilities to:
- Maintain, update and manage patient records in a secure manner
- Use and maintain automated systems critical to medical office functions
- Evaluate and launch new technological innovations
- Perform both clerical and bookkeeping functions
- Stay informed about regulatory changes
- Regularly interact with patients, families, physicians and other healthcare professionals
To learn more about educational and career opportunities as a Medical Administrative Assistant, contact one of our Enrollment Services Representatives.