- Handle inmates appropriately both verbally and physically incorporating Title 15 regulations
- Use a firearm safely and demonstrate appropriate arrest, search and seizure techniques
- Analyze criminal cases using knowledge of rules of investigation, interrogation and evidence
- Write complete, competent and relevant reports
- Examine the concepts of morality, ethics and law, and apply the philosophies within the criminal justice system
- Explain the history, theories and relationship of corrections and the criminal justice system
- Apply definitions and theories of crime and criminal codes to the criminal justice systems
Supervising inmates and maintaining order within jails/prisons is an important and rewarding job. Carrington’s Criminal Justice: Corrections program – available at many of our California locations – prepares graduates to work as correctional officers and jailers, in addition to employment opportunities such as retail loss prevention specialists or security guards. 1
Get started on your education today!
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
1. Applicants for jobs in the criminal justice field may be subject to pre-employment screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks, drug and/or alcohol testing, physical and/or psychological examinations and credit checks. Unsatisfactory screenings may disqualify an applicant for a position in the criminal justice field. Additional government-required training programs or years of relevant experience may be necessary to obtain employment in this field.
2. https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes333012.htm (visited July 2, 2019).
The California mean annual wage in May 2018 for correctional officers and jailers may not represent entry-level pay.
3. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Which Locations Offer the Criminal Justice Corrections Program?
*Certificate is awarded from the Phoenix campus.
What Will I Learn
A Day In The Life
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the pay like for correctional officers?
Pay for correctional officers and jailers can vary depending on how far they are into their careers and the industries they work in. In May 2018, the national mean annual wages for correctional officers and jailers were 4:
- Federal Government: $58,010
- Local Government, excluding education and hospitals: $44,830
- State Government, excluding education and hospitals: $43,940
- Facilities support services: $38,990
4. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-service/correctional-officers.htm#tab-5 (visited July 2, 2019)
What certifications do graduates from Carrington’s Criminal Justice: Corrections program earn?
In order to be fully prepared to work as a correctional officer, our program equips graduates with the following:
- Standards and Training for Corrections (STC) Adult Core Academy, which includes 8-hour Baton Training.
- Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) certified training 5 in:
- Powers to Arrest
- Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Chemical Agents
- Public Relations
- Observations and Documentation
- Communications and its Significance
- Liability and Legal Aspects
5. This training results in (BSIS) Security Guard Card and (BSIS) Security Guard Exposed Weapons permits.
Graduates from our Criminal Justice: Corrections program will be able to:
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid6.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you7.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
6. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
7. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.