Massage Therapist’s Guide To Face & Scalp Massage
Tips & Techniques From a Massage Therapy Instructor
Many people don’t realize just how much stress we carry in the face and scalp. Just as with other areas of the body, the face and scalp have a variety of different pressure points that deserve a fair amount of attention on a regular basis. Learning face and scalp massage techniques can go a long way in reducing tension in your loved one—and it’s a loving way to express how much you care.
How to Do Facial Massage Techniques Properly
- Begin your facial massage with a nice, gliding stroke on your partner’s face using both hands. Start down at the chin and apply a small amount of pressure as your hands work their way up towards the scalp. Do this a few times and be sure to increase the pressure level with each pass.
- Glide each hand along either side of the forehead in one fluid motion. Be sure not to lift your hand off of the person’s face—instead, move from the top of the forehead along the side of the head and back again. Use your thumbs for maximum results.
- Use your fingers to gently massage your partner’s temples. Apply pressure using three fingers and make circular motions on each side.
How to Massage Scalp Pressure Points
- Position your hands to put the tips of your fingers on the top of your partner’s scalp and your thumb on each side of the head.
- Move your hands in a circular motion and apply pressure at the same time.
- Be sure to work all parts of the scalp for maximum relief.
- If necessary, don’t be afraid to rest your partner’s head in one hand. Doing so will afford you easier access to one side of their scalp. When finished, you can do the same thing to the other side for increased relief.
Face and Scalp Massage Tips
- You don’t necessarily need to invest in a proper massage table in order to apply head and face massage techniques in the comfort of your own home. Just make sure that you have a flat, firm and comfortable surface that your partner can rest on. You can even use the floor.
- If necessary, lay towels, blankets or other types of soft material down on the surface you’ve chosen to use to increase your partner’s comfort level.
- When choosing massage oils, avoid ones with strong fragrances. If the smell is too overpowering, it can kill the mood and cause unnecessary stress and irritation.
Consider Massage Therapy As a Career
If you would like to learn more about proper facial and scalp massage techniques, consider attending one of the Carrington College massage therapy schools. Not only will you learn how to give a scalp massage in a much more technical and professional manner, but you’ll also gain more insight into the benefits of facial massage techniques, facial massage movements and much more. It can be a great first step towards a bold new career in massage therapy.