- Apply the nursing process in caring for clients in a variety of clinical settings.
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication with patients and their families as well as other health care professionals.
- Demonstrate academic preparedness to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN)6
Registered nurses provide critical health care including taking medical histories, recording vital signs and symptoms, performing diagnostic tests, drawing blood, giving injections and other tasks. Carrington College’s Registered Nursing program covers topics such as anatomy and physiology, microbiology, maternal child nursing, medical-surgical nursing, pharmacology and much more.
Get started on your education today!
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
1. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm (visited July 07, 2018).Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
2. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Which Locations Offer the Registered Nursing Program?
*Certificate is awarded from the Phoenix North campus.
What Will I Learn
A Day In The Life
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the job outlook like for Registered Nurses?
You’re hard working and passionate about caring for others. We’re not saying it’ll be easy, but those characteristics can help you succeed as a registered nurse. In fact, employment in the registered nursing field is projected to grow 15% nationally between 2016 and 20263. And there are some reasons for this growth, including:
An increased emphasis on preventative care, so more people are visiting health care facilities before they get sick to stay healthy.
- Chronic conditions such as diabetes and obesity are occurring at growing rates, meaning more people who need your help.
- Baby boomers live longer and more active lives, and their demand for healthcare services continues to grow, which means an increased demand for those who can care for them.4
3. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm (visited July 07, 2018).Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Registered Nurses,
on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm (visited July 07, 2018).
Where can you work as a Registered Nurse?5
State, Local and Private Hospitals
Hospitals are probably the most recognizable places where registered nurses work. You’ll be responsible for patient care, working with physicians and the rest of the patients’ health care team to make sure they get the treatment they need.
Nursing Care Facilities
With a growing population of aging individuals, nursing care facilities continue to require the expertise of registered nurses to help their residents. Registered nurses here will help patients with day-to-day medical concerns and help treat illnesses or ailments.
Residential Care Facilities
In addition to helping our aging population, residential care facilities assist those with conditions requiring around the clock care. As a registered nurse at a residential care facility, you’ll be responsible for helping facilitate that treatment.
Physicians see many patients each day, and rely on registered nurses at their practices to assist them. Registered nurses in a physician’s office would be responsible for checking vital signs, administering vaccinations and communicating with the patient.
Home Health Care Services
Sometimes a patient needs extra assistance with a medical condition but prefers to stay in the comfort of their own home. You might be responsible for assisting with medication and answering any questions the patient has about their care.
Students get sick too, and many elementary, middle and high schools and even colleges and universities utilize the expertise of a registered nurse. You’ll be asked to see students complaining of minor ailments.
5. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
Caring is Part of Who You Are. Turn that Compassion Into a Career.
6. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Credential preparation varies by location.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid7.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you8.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
7. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
8. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) requires that the following student achievement outcome data be made publicly available.
- Graduates’ success on the licensure and/or certification examination
- Students’ completion of the nursing program
- Graduates obtaining a job
To view this information for Carrington College’s ACEN – accredited nursing programs, click here