- Provide assistance and care for others
- Assist with document and record information
- Inspect equipment, structures and materials
- Assist physical therapists and physical therapist assistants with patient treatment
Helping patients recover from an injury or adapt to trauma or disability can be very rewarding. The Physical Therapy Technology program at Carrington College includes classroom lectures, laboratory exercises and practice and clinical training in an off-campus professional environment.
CLASSES START June 10, 2019*
*Class start days may vary by location or program
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
1. https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/31-2022.00 (visited November 16, 2018) Data reflects a projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
2. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Which Locations Offer the Physical Therapy Technology Program?
*Certificate is awarded from the Phoenix North campus.
What Will I Learn
A Day In The Life
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the job outlook like for Physical Therapist Aides?
You want to use your hands to help people feel better. You have a passion for making sure people can reach their best potential, and that dedication will help you succeed in this growing field. You’ll have to put in the time and hard work, but the numbers appear to be in your favor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be about 8,500 more job opportunities for physical therapist aides from 2016-20263. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- Demand for physical therapy services is expected to increase in response to the health needs of an aging population.
- Baby boomers are staying more active later in life, but they’re also entering the prime age for heart attacks and strokes, increasing the demand for cardiac and physical rehabilitation.
- A number of chronic conditions like diabetes and obesity have become more prevalent, and physical therapist aides will be needed to manage their effects and help patients maintain their mobility.
- Medical and technological developments should permit an increased percentage of trauma victims and newborns with birth defects to survive, creating added demand for therapy and rehabilitation services4.
3. https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/31-2022.00 (visited November 16, 2018) Data reflects a projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
Where can you work as a Physical Therapist Aide?
As a physical therapist aide in a hospital, you’ll transport patients to and from treatment areas, using wheelchairs or providing standing support. You’ll also secure patients into or onto therapy equipment and clean and the work area and disinfect equipment after treatment.
Home Care Agencies
You’ll assist patients to dress, undress or put on and remove supportive devices, such as braces, splints or slings. You’ll also train patients to use orthopedic braces, prostheses or supportive devices.
You’ll be responsible for instructing, motivating, safeguarding or assisting patients practicing exercises or functional activities, under the direction of medical staff. You might also perform clerical duties, such as taking inventory, ordering supplies or filling out forms.
In an outpatient clinic, you’ll assist with active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound, under the direct supervision of a licensed physical therapist.
You’ll assist physical therapists or physical therapist assistants with patients during treatment. You might also assist physical therapists or physical therapist assistants with fitting patients for orthopedic braces, prostheses or supportive devices, adjusting the fit as needed.
Stretch Your Options With an Education in Physical Therapy Technology.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid5.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you6.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
5. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
6. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.