Phlebotomists1 procure blood samples for laboratory analysis. The Carrington College Phlebotomy Technician program focuses on blood specimen collection and processing which includes body system anatomy and function, site selection, equipment and supplies, and pre analytical errors.
CLASSES START June 10, 2019*
*Class start days may vary by location or program
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
1. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Phlebotomists, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/phlebotomists.htm (visited July 12, 2018). Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
3. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Which Locations Offer the Phlebotomy Technician Program?
*Certificate is awarded from the Phoenix North campus.
What is Phlebotomy?
Phlebotomy is a procedure that removes blood from the body. This could be done for testing, transfusions, research or blood donations. It’s important phlebotomists understand the purpose for the blood draw so they take the correct amount and label it properly.
What Will I Learn
A Day In The Life
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the job outlook like for Phlebotomists?5
Phlebotomy is a career field that continues to expand at a rate that’s faster than other health care support occupations4. Phlebotomists are qualified to work in a variety of locations, including hospitals, diagnostic laboratories and blood donor centers. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of phlebotomists is projected to grow 25% nationally between 2016 and 20264. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- Blood analysis remains an essential function in medical laboratories and hospitals.
- Demand for phlebotomists will remain high as doctors and other healthcare professionals require bloodwork for analysis and diagnosis.
4. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/phlebotomists.htm#tab-6 (visited July 12, 2018).
Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
5. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
Where can you work as a Phlebotomist?6,7
As a phlebotomist, you'll draw blood from veins by vacuum tube, syringe or butterfly venipuncture methods. You might also collect fluid or tissue samples, using appropriate collection procedures and explain those procedures to patients.
Phlebotomists working in a medical and diagnostic laboratories will match lab requisition forms to specimen tubes before collection specimens. You'll also collect specimens at specific time intervals for tests, such as those assessing therapeutic drug levels.
Blood donor Centers
In a blood donor center, phlebotomists draw blood from ateries, using arterial collection techniques. You'll also determine donor suitability, according to interview results, vital signs and medical history. In addition, you'll monitor donors to ensure health, safety and comfort.
Phlebotomists working in a doctors' offices explain fluid or tissue collection procedures to patients. they also provide sample analysis results to physicians to assist diagnosis and conduct tests such as blood alcohol, blood culture and glucose screenings.
6. Carrington College does not guarantee employment, nor employment within specific locations, facilities or salary ranges.
7. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/phlebotomists.htm (visited July 12, 2018).
Our Phlebotomy Technician Program Is Your Type
You’re looking for a career that will make a difference in patients’ health. In Carrington College’s Phlebotomy Technician program, you’ll get the training you need to pursue a career as a Phlebotomist. Our three month program combines classroom lectures with the hands-on phlebotomy experience you need to be comfortable drawing blood. 8 In Carrington College’s Certification of Completion Phlebotomy Technician program, you’ll get to:
- Complete at least 100 unaided successful blood draws in a clinical setting
- Do your hands-on lab work on campus with qualified instructors
- Complete your classroom work online, on your time
- Prepare for the National HealthCareer Association Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT) exam8
8. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Credential preparation varies by location.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you9.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
9. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.