1. While some employers may not require this level of education, it can help better prepare you for the responsibilities of this role.
2. To be eligible for entrance into the Associate of Science (non-science or science emphasis) degree program in Vocational Nursing, applicants must have earned a Certificate of Achievement in Vocational Nursing from an accredited program.
1 At this time there are no approved start dates for the Certificat of Achievement program and Associate of Science (non-science emphasis) degree option.
2 In order to enroll in the Vocational Nursing Associate of Science (science emphasis) degree option, students must have graduated from the Vocational Nursing Certificate of Achievement program.
Carrington College provides students with the knowledge and skills to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or will be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Completion of the Vocational Nursing Associate of Science degree requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the Carrington Registered Nursing LVN to RN program.
Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employemnt, and throughout their careers.
*Certificate is awarded from the Phoenix North campus.
What Will I Learn
A Day In The Life
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse7?
You have a big heart, and want to use that compassion and caring to help people feel better. As a practical/vocational nurse (PN/VN), our program at Carrington College is intended to provide you with the skills to help you succeed. We can’t guarantee you’ll find a job, but the research works in your favor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an additional 88,900 jobs for practical nurses and vocational nurses from 2016-20265. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
As the baby-boom population ages, the overall need for health care services is expected to increase.
Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) will be needed in residential care facilities and in home health environments to care for older patients.
LPNs and LVNs will be needed to assist and care for patients with chronic conditions in skilled nursing and other extended care facilities.
Many procedures that once could be done only in hospitals are not being done in outpatient care centers, creating a greater need for LPNs and LVNs6.
6. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Credential preparation varies by location.
7. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
Where can you work as a Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse?
In a hospital, you’ll observe patients and chart and report changes in patients’ conditions, such as adverse reactions to medication or treatment. You’ll also administer prescribed medications or start intravenous fluids, noting times and amounts on patients’ charts.
You’ll provide basic patient care or treatments, such as taking temperatures or blood pressures and dressing wounds. You’ll also collect samples, such as blood and urine from patients and perform routine laboratory tests on those samples.
Home Health Care Services
You’ll help patients with bathing, dressing, maintaining personal hygiene, standing or walking. You’ll also see that the patient is comfortable and in good spirits, and instruct family members in simple nursing tasks.
Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
You’ll prepare or examine food trays for conformance to prescribed diet. You’ll also work as part of a health care team to assess patient needs, plan and modify care and implement interventions, in addition to answering patients’ calls and determining how to assist them.
Turn Your Compassion Into A Career
If you’re looking for a career that allows you to help physicians and care for patients, then practical nursing or vocational nursing is a great choice. Carrington College’s Practical Nursing/Vocational Nursing program is designed to provide you the classroom instruction and hands-on training you need to pursue a career as a licensed practical nurse or licensed vocational nurse. You’ll get real-world experience in a clinical setting, helping you feel comfortable and confident in a professional setting before you even graduate. Carrington College’s Practical Nursing/Vocational Nursing program, is built to give you the skills and training you need to be able to:
Prepare and give injections
Collect samples for laboratory testing
Measure and record vital signs
Sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN)8
8. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee graduates will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. There are multiple certification opportunities available in the Medical Assisting field, the most recognized of which are the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) credential and the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) credential. Credential preparation varies by location.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid9.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you10.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
9. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
10. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
LICENSURE EXAM PASS RATES
This program prepares graduates for an occupation in which passage of a California licensing examination is required. The link below shows exam passage rates for the most recent available year. If you have questions regarding the calculation of these rates please contact the agency listed.