You have a big heart, and want to use that compassion and caring to help people feel better. As a practical/vocational nurse (PN/VN), our program at Carrington College is intended to provide you with the skills to help you succeed. We can’t guarantee you’ll find a job, but the research works in your favor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an additional 88,900 jobs for practical nurses and vocational nurses from 2016-20263. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- As the baby-boom population ages, the overall need for health care services is expected to increase.
- Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) will be needed in residential care facilities and in home health environments to care for older patients.
- LPNs and LVNs will be needed to assist and care for patients with chronic conditions in skilled nursing and other extended care facilities.
- Many procedures that once could be done only in hospitals are not being done in outpatient care centers, creating a greater need for LPNs and LVNs4.
3. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/licensed-practical-and-licensed-vocational-nurses.htm (visited July 12, 2018).
Data reflects a national projected percentage change in employment from 2016-2026 and may not reflect local economic conditions.
4. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Credential preparation varies by location.
5. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.