The Pharmacy Technology program at our Carrington College Boise campus provides students with the knowledge expected of an entry-level Pharmacy Technician1. Our Boise Pharmacy Tech classes prepare you for the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) national certification exam2, which is the credential you need for licensure in a medical field that is growing much faster than the average for all occupations.3
A Pharmacy Technician, under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist, receives and fills prescriptions safely and accurately. The majority of Pharmacy Tech positions are in hospital and retail pharmacies. If you’re looking at Boise Pharmacy Tech schools, then here are a few key things you need to know about our Pharmacy Technology program:
- The Boise program culminates in either a Certificate of Achievement or an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology
- The certificate program can typically be completed in as few as nine months4
- Students on the Boise Pharmacy Tech program practice dispensing prescriptions and compounding medications in a unique simulated pharmacy environment
- Our Pharmacy Technology classes can give you the hands-on training you need to help you succeed in a career as Pharmacy Technician in Boise
Boise Pharmacy Technicians – The profession is flourishing
Because this industry is rapidly evolving, there is a growing demand for a new generation of qualified Pharmacy Technicians. Those Pharmacy Techs that have previous experience, have completed formal training like our Boise Pharmacy Technology program, or are certified, may enjoy more employment opportunities.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of pharmacy technicians and aides is expected to increase by 20% from 2012 to 2022.3
A valuable dose of reality on our Boise Pharmacy Technology program
Once they have completed their coursework, including all the necessary administration skills, our Boise Pharmacy Technology students can experience working in a real-world pharmacy during a clinical externship. So not only do they get theoretical and practical training in a mock pharmacy setting on our Boise campus, they get to test their new skills in the real world before graduation.
Our students are taught pharmacy calculations, medical, and pharmaceutical terminology, as well as the abbreviations and symbols used when prescribing, dispensing, and documenting medications. Our Boise Pharmacy Tech faculty teaches them about drug distribution methods and systems, the chemical and physical characteristics of drugs, and how to prepare sterile dosage forms. Graduates should have the skills and the confidence to:
- Perform tasks that employers expect of entry-level Pharmacy Technicians
- Receive, verify, fill, and prepare prescriptions
- Maintain patient profiles and histories
- Understand the legal and ethical guidelines involved
Our Boise Pharmacy Technology classes are enrolling soon; isn’t it time you spoke to a Carrington College Enrollment Services Representative about fulfilling your potential?