Physical Therapist Assistants can help give patients the gift of mobility. Whether you’re helping someone recover from an injury, or showing a patient techniques to improve quality of life, you’ll play an important role in their treatment. In Carrington College’s Physical Therapist Assistant program, your classroom training and hands-on experience will help you succeed as a physical therapist assistant. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:6
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
40% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)1
Less than 2 years2
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm (visited April 18, 2016).
2. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Classes start as soon as May 8, 2017*
Which Locations Offer the Physical Therapist Assistant Program?
* For the Medical Assisting Hybrid program, the certificate is awarded from the Phoenix North Campus, but campus based courses are located at the Glendale Learning Center, an auxiliary learning site to the Phoenix North campus.
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Physical Therapist Assistant?
You want a hands-on career that helps others feel better. There are no guarantees when it comes to finding a job, but the numbers tell a great story for the opportunities out there. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 51,400 new physical therapist assistant jobs are expected to open between 2014 and 20243. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- A more active aging population will result in a higher demand for physical therapy services.
- An increase in chronic conditions like diabetes and obesity will require physical therapist assistants to help patients maintain their mobility.
- Medical and technological advancements should permit an increased percentage of trauma victims and newborns with birth defects to survive, creating added demand for therapy and rehabilitative services4.
Where can you work as a Physical Therapist Assistant5?
In a hospital, you’ll treat patients with a variety of musculoskeletal, neurologic and cardiovascular/pulmonary conditions. Interventions provided include, but are not limited to, gait training, therapeutic exercise and functional training.
Home Care Agencies
You’ll measure range of motion, take vital signs and provide patient interventions. You’ll also instruct caregivers or family members on patient therapeutic activities or treatment plans.
You’ll instruct, motivate, safeguard and assist patients admitted to a rehab unit for intense therapy in how to perform exercises and functional activities. You’ll discuss patient information for planning, modifying or coordinating treatment with the rehab team.
You’ll select, implement and adapt therapeutic exercises and work to return patients to their prior level of function. You’ll use a large variety of pain relieving modalities, including heat, ice, electrical stimulation and ultrasound to help reduce symptoms.
You’ll instruct, motivate, safeguard and assist patients admitted to the nursing home facility. You’ll also instruct caregivers or family members on patient therapeutic activities or treatment plans.
Stretch Your Skills At Carrington College.
- Perform an array of physical therapy services, from the application of hot and cold modalities, to the delivery of manual therapy
- Communicate in a confident, professional manner with your patients and colleagues
- Demonstrate your proficiency in critical thinking and information management
- Prepare to take the PTA licensure exam, the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE)5
6. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Credential preparation varies by location.
What Will I Learn
Physical Therapist Assistant
iPad mini™ in the Classroom7
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™8. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
7. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
8. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid9.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you10.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential11 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
9. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
10. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
11. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.
Student Outcomes as reported in the 2016 Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) Annual Accreditation Report. To learn more about our Public Comment Policy, please click here.
The two-year average for calendar years 2014-2015:
- Boise: 91.1%
- Las Vegas: 90.6%
- Mesa campus: 86.0%
- Pleasant Hill: 97.7%
This program prepares graduates for an occupation in which passage of a licensing examination is required. The link below shows exam passage rates for the most recent available year. If you have questions regarding the calculation of these rates please contact the agency listed.
Pass rates for Carrington College are available on The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy website.
The two-year average for those who graduated in calendar years 2014-2015, sought employment, and were employed in physical therapy (full-time or part-time) within one year following graduation:
- Boise: 97.2%
- Las Vegas: 90.9%
- Mesa: 97.1%.
- Pleasant Hill: 91.7%