Working as a radiologic technologist gives you the opportunity to play an important role in patient care. Providing images to help identify problems areas in patients can be key in helping physicians diagnose the issue. In Carrington College’s Medical Radiography program, you’ll receive a combination of classroom instruction and hands-on training. Your clinical education will provide real-world experience, preparing you for your future career. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:4
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
9% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)1
Medical Imaging Centers,
Comprehensive Medical Centers
About 2 years2
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Radiologic and MRI Technologists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/radiologic-technologists.htm (visited April 27, 2016).
2. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Classes start soon!*
Which Locations Offer the Medical Radiography Program?
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Radiologic (X-Ray) Technologist?
You’re a problem solver with an eye for detail. Those qualities will help you succeed as a radiologic technologist. You’ll have to work hard, but the growing need for people with an education in medical radiography can work in your favor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an additional 20,700 job openings in the field from 2014-20243. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- As the population ages, there will be an increase in medical conditions like cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Those require imaging as a tool for making diagnoses.
- Advances in technology could also help increase demand. As equipment used becomes more accessible, new employment opportunities could arise.
Where can you work as a Radiologic (X-Ray) Technologist?
A radiologic technologist working in a physicians’ office would position x-ray equipment and adjust controls to set exposure factors, such as time and distance. They’ll also position patients on the exam table and adjust the equipment to view the area requested by the physician.
Medical Imaging Centers
You’ll determine patients’ x-ray needs by reading requests or instructions from physicians. You’ll also process exposed radiographs using film processors or computer generated methods and operate digital picture archiving communications systems.
Comprehensive Medical Centers
It will be your responsibility to use beam-restrictive devices and patient-shielding techniques to minimize radiation exposure to patients and staff. You might also operate mobile x-ray equipment in operating room, emergency room or at patient’s bedside.
Exposing Your Future in Health Care.
- Position patients properly to acquire useful images
- Ensure proper exposure for optimum film resolution
- Administer appropriate drugs and prepare chemical mixtures to assist in the imaging process
- Sit for the national certification exam4
4. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
iPad mini™ in the Classroom5
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™6. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
5. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
6. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid7.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you8.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential9 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
7. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
8. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
9. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.