The medical billing and coding industry is changing, and you’re poised to be at the forefront of this growing industry. In Carrington College’s Medical Billing and Coding program, you’ll receive a combination of theory and practical training to help you prepare for your career. You’ll also have the opportunity to build your skills and gain real-world experience through an externship. When you graduate, you should be prepared to put your knowledge, critical thinking and specialized skills to use. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:
14% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)2
Independent Billing Companies,
As few as 9 months3
1. Program availability varies by location
3. Not including breaks.
Which Locations Offer the Medical Billing and Coding Program?
Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Medical Biller and Coder?
The numbers are on your side! Not only are career opportunities going to continue to grow, but with the ICD-10 Code release, there’s need for qualified employees who have learned this information. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an additional 163,800 jobs for Medical Secretaries between 2014 and 20244. There are some great reasons for this growth5 in the medical records field, including:
- As people continue to live longer, they’ll require more medical services. That means a greater need for people to organize and maintain their health information data.
- The widespread use of electronic health records means an increased need for employees to organize and manage that information.
- The introduction of the ICD-10 coding system means more specific coding possibilities for illnesses and injuries, and a need for people qualified to code those issues.
- Cancer registrars are expected to continue to be in high demand. As the population ages, there will likely be more types of special purpose registries because many illness are detected and treated later in life6.
Where can you work as a Medical Biller and Coder?
In a medical office, you’ll protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained. You’ll also review records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations.
Independent Billing Companies
Medical billers and coders working for independent billing companies will enter data, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures or treatment into the computer. They’ll also post medical insurance billings.
Dental offices require medical billers and coders too. Here, you’ll be in charge of transcribing medical reports and retrieving patient medical records for dentists, hygienists or other medical personnel.
In the clinic setting, medical billers and coders might compile and maintain patients’ medical records to document condition and treatment and to provide data for research or cost control and care improvement efforts.
You Create the Code for Your Success.
- Perform procedural and diagnosis coding for submission to insurance companies
- Accurately interpret medical records, including diagnosis and procedures performed by health care providers
- Communicate clearly with physicians, patients and other professionals
- Demonstrate proficiency in information management
- Stay informed about coding rules, federal and state regulations, and insurance contracts
iPad mini™ in the Classroom7
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™8. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
7. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
8. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid9.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you10.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential11 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
9. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
10. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
11. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.
Have questions? Chat now with a Representative
We just need to know your name to start your chat: