Got Questions? Please Don’t Be Shy.
When we interview Carrington College students and graduates for the Spotlight feature in our newsletters and blog, we ask them for a few words of advice for new students or for those thinking about enrolling.
One of the more common things they mention is that you shouldn’t be afraid to ask questions. Many of them admit to being shy themselves at the outset of their programs. They felt that if they asked a question they might somehow be seen as inadequate or falling behind.
That couldn’t be further from the truth – our faculty members encourage questions and interaction. They want to see that ‘light bulb moment’ in your eyes – the moment when they realize that you ‘get it’. What’s more, we can pretty much guarantee that you won’t be the only person in your class who wants an answer to the question you have. So be brave and speak up.
If you don’t ask your question, what happens next? Our instructors are many things but few of them are mind-readers! If you don’t tell them you’re a little stuck, they’ll move on assuming you get it.
You can’t just bury something you don’t understand because in all likelihood it will come back to bite you later, either during a test or when you need that understanding to move forward on the course. Many of our programs are layered, which means that your knowledge will be built on previous learning. If you have a ‘layer’ that’s a little shaky it may cause you problems later.
Remember this isn’t high school. You are here to get a practical health care education that can impact peoples’ lives. So whether it’s in a lecture, a lab, or a clinical, don’t be afraid to ask a question. When it comes to your education, there are no ‘stupid questions’. Unlike these completely unrelated questions…which we thought you might enjoy!*
- Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
- Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?
- Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
- Why is it that when you transport something by car it’s called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it’s called cargo?
- If corn oil comes from corn, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from?
- How do they get a deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
- Why do they sterilize the needles for lethal injections?
- Is it true that cannibals don’t eat clowns because they taste funny?
- What was the best thing before sliced bread?
- If a book about failures doesn’t sell, is it a success?
- If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
- Should vegetarians eat animal crackers?
- Why is the word abbreviation so long?
* Stupid questions courtesy of www.jokersrevenge.com