Helping animals is in your blood, so why not make a career out of it? At Carrington College, you can take your love of animals to the next level. Our qualified instructors give you the information and hands-on training you need to succeed as a veterinary technician. Our program includes an externship in a veterinary health care setting that will give you real-world experience before you graduate. In Carrington College’s Veterinary Technology program, you will:5
19% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)1
Veterinary Hospitals and Clinics,
Animal Rescue Leagues
Less than 2 years2
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Veterinary Technologists and Technicians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/veterinary-technologists-and-technicians.htm (visited April 18, 2016).
2. Not including breaks.
Which Locations Offer the Veterinary Technology Program?
Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Veterinary Technician?
You’ve always had a soft spot for animals, and you want a career helping them feel better. You’ll have to put in the work, and we can’t guarantee you’ll get a job, but the opportunities are out there. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 17,900 new veterinary technician jobs are expected between 2014 and 20243. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- Clinics are relying on veterinary technicians to provide more general care and lab work so they can operate more efficiently.
- Veterinarians will want to hire veterinary technicians to perform the complex work a veterinary assistant might not be qualified to do.
- A demand for veterinary technicians in areas like food and animal safety is expected to grow, helping prevent foodborne contamination’s and diseases in animals4.
Where can you work as a Veterinary Technician?
Veterinary Hospitals and Clinics
You’ll administer anesthesia to animals, under the direction of a veterinarian, and monitor animals’ responses to anesthetics. You’ll also be responsible for caring and monitoring the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
Animal Rescue Leagues
In rescue leagues, you’ll prepare and administer medications, vaccines, serums or treatments, as prescribed by veterinarians. You’ll also fill prescriptions, measure medications and label containers.
Don’t Just Love Animals, Care For Them.
- Aid in medical, surgical and diagnostic procedures
- Maintain medical records and gather patient information
- Assist with radiography and dental prophylaxes
- Collect laboratory specimens and aid in the analysis process
- Prepare to sit for the Veterinary Technician National Certification Examination and the California Registered Veterinary Technician State Board Examination.5
5. Carrington College prepares students to take appropriate certification and licensure exams related to their individual majors. The College does not guarantee students will successfully pass these exams or be certified or licensed as a result of completing the program. Credential preparation varies by location.
The mission of the Veterinary Technology program is to provide local and global veterinary communities with ethical graduates committed to lifelong learning and professional development. Graduates will acquire mastery of entry level skills and knowledge required for the contemporary veterinary practice. The core program focus is companion animal practice, but all facets of veterinary medicine, including large animal medicine, biomedical research, and industry related topics are emphasized.
|Three-year pass rate data for first-time test takers on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) based on a July 1 to June 30 reporting year (2012-2015)|
|Citrus Heights||Pleasant Hill||Pomona||Sacramento||San Jose||San Leandro||Stockton|
|Number of eligible first-time candidates||74||102||167||122||125||144||140|
|Number of first-time candidates that have taken the VTNE||26||44||62||44||42||59||56|
|Three-Year Pass Rate||88%||61%||65%||55%||52%||64%||63%|
iPad mini™ in the Classroom6
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™7. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
6. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
7. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid8.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you9.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential10 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
8. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
9. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
10. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.