As a physical therapist aide, you’ll be caring for others and helping them obtain the best quality of life possible. Whether you’re helping assist with an athlete after a big game or working with a geriatric patient after a fall, you have the opportunity to change lives. At Carrington College, our qualified instructors are here to help you reach your full potential. Our program includes a combination of classroom work and hands-on training to give you the tools you need. In Carrington College’s Physical Therapy Technology program, you’ll get the skills and training to be able to:4
39% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)1
About 9 months2
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Physical Therapist Assistants and Aides, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm (visited April 29, 2016).
2. Not including breaks.
Which Locations Offer the Physical Therapy Technology Program?
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Physical Therapist Aide?
You want to use your hands to help people feel better. You have a passion for making sure people can reach their best potential, and that dedication will help you succeed in this growing field. You’ll have to put in the time and hard work, but the numbers are in your favor. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be about 51,400 more job opportunities for physical therapist assistants and aides from 2014-20243. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- Demand for physical therapy services is expected to increase in response to the health needs of an aging population.
- Baby boomers are staying more active later in life, but they’re also entering the prime age for heart attacks and strokes, increasing the demand for cardiac and physical rehabilitation.
- A number of chronic conditions like diabetes and obesity have become more prevalent, and physical therapist aides will be needed to manage their effects and help patients maintain their mobility.
- Medical and technological developments should permit an increased percentage of trauma victims and newborns with birth defects to survive, creating added demand for therapy and rehabilitation services3.
Where can you work as a Physical Therapist Aide?
As a physical therapist aide in a hospital, you’ll transport patients to and from treatment areas, using wheelchairs or providing standing support. You’ll also secure patients into or onto therapy equipment and clean and the work area and disinfect equipment after treatment.
Home Care Agencies
You’ll assist patients to dress, undress or put on and remove supportive devices, such as braces, splints or slings. You’ll also train patients to use orthopedic braces, prostheses or supportive devices.
You’ll be responsible for instructing, motivating, safeguarding or assisting patients practicing exercises or functional activities, under the direction of medical staff. You might also perform clerical duties, such as taking inventory, ordering supplies or filling out forms.
In an outpatient clinic, you’ll assist with active or passive manual therapeutic exercises, therapeutic massage or electrical modality treatments, such as ultrasound, under the direct supervision of a licensed physical therapist or physical therapist assistant.
You’ll assist physical therapists or physical therapist assistants with patients during treatment. You might also assist physical therapists or physical therapist assistants with fitting patients for orthopedic braces, prostheses or supportive devices, adjusting the fit as needed.
Stretch Your Options With an Education in Physical Therapy Technology.
- Provide assistance and care for others
- Assist with document and record information
- Inspect equipment, structures and materials
- Assist physical therapists and physical therapist assistants with patient treatment
- Sit for the National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT) exam4
4. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
iPad mini™ in the Classroom5
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™6. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
5. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
6. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid7.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you8.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential9 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
7. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
8. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
9. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.