Pharmacy technicians have the opportunity to help patients by preparing the medication they need to feel better. You’re changing lives every day by mixing, counting and filling those prescriptions. In Carrington College’s Pharmacy Technology program, you’ll get the classroom training and hands-on experience you need to prepare you for your career as a pharmacy technician. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:8
9% growth from 2014-2024
(Faster than average growth)2
As few as 9 months (Certificate)3
2 years (Associate Degree)3
1. Program availability varies by location
2. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Pharmacy Technicians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacy-technicians.htm (visited May 04, 2016).
3. Not including breaks.
Which Locations Offer the Pharmacy Technology Program?
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Pharmacy Technician?
You want to find chemistry with a career you’ll love and, let’s face it, you’ll look pretty good in a lab coat. No one can guarantee you’ll get a job, but the growing need for pharmacy technicians means opportunities are out there. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, opportunities for pharmacy technicians will continue to grow. In fact, it projects the addition of about 34,700 jobs for pharmacy technicians between 2014 and 20244. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- The population is aging, and older people tend to use more prescription medications than younger people.
- Higher rates of chronic disease like diabetes among all age groups will lead to an increased demand for prescription medications.
- Advances in pharmaceutical research means more prescription medications will be used to fight diseases5.
4. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Pharmacy Technicians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacy-technicians.htm (visited May 04, 2016).
Where can you work as a Pharmacy Technician?6
In a pharmacy, you’ll be responsible for receiving written prescriptions or refill requests and verifying all information is complete and accurate. You’ll answer telephones and respond to email requests and maintain proper inventory and storage for drugs.
Your work in a drug store pharmacy is very similar to what you would do in other pharmacies. You’ll assist customers by answering questions, locating items or referring them to the pharmacist for medication information. You’ll also price and file prescriptions that have been filled.
As a pharmacy technician working in a hospital setting, you’ll receive and store incoming supplies and check for outdated medications in current inventory. You’ll also deliver medications or pharmaceutical supplies to patients, nursing stations or to surgery.
In a mail-order pharmacy you won’t have that face-to-face interaction with customers that you would in a traditional pharmacy. You’ll order, label and count stock of medications, chemicals or supplies and enter inventory data into the computer.
Pharmacy technicians in grocery stores are responsible for receiving and storing incoming supplies. You’ll also price stock and mark items for sale. Plus, you’ll establish or maintain patient profiles, including lists of medications taken by individual patients.
Retail store pharmacy technicians might prepare and process medical insurance claim forms and records. You’ll also mix pharmaceutical preparations, according to written prescriptions, and operate cash registers to accept payment from customers7.
6. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
Your Prescription for Success is at Carrington College.
- Receive, prepare and dispense prescriptions
- Verify prescription information
- Maintain customer profiles and patient histories
- Prepare for the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) national certification exam7
8. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
iPad mini™ in the Classroom9
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™10. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
9. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
10. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid11.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you12.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential13 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
11. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
12. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
13. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.