Having healthy teeth and gums is key to staying healthy. You know you want to help people with their smiles, which is why you’re interested in preparing for a career as a dental hygienist. In Carrington College’s Dental Hygiene program, the combination of classroom work and hands-on training will give you the skills you need to succeed as a dental hygienist. Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:
19% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)1
Community Dental Clinics,
Public Health Agencies
Less than 2 years2
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Dental Hygienists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dental-hygienists.htm (visited April 26, 2016).
2. Not including breaks.
Which Locations Offer the Dental Hygiene Program?
Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thu 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Dental Hygienist?
You love helping people improve their oral health. That passion will help you succeed as a dental hygienist. A lot of your success will depend on your commitment and hard work, but there is a growing need for dental hygienists. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an additional 37,400 job openings in the field from 2014-20243. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- Ongoing research linking oral health and general health will continue to increase the demand for preventative dental services.
- Cosmetic dental services have become increasingly popular. This trend is expected to continue as technologies allow for less invasive, faster procedures.
- As the large baby-boom population ages and people retain more of their original teeth than previous generations did, the need to maintain and treat those teeth will continue to drive demand for dental care.
Where can you work as a Dental Hygienist4?
In a dental office, you’ll be responsible for examining gums for signs of disease. You’ll also chart conditions such as decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by the dentist, and apply fluoride or other cavity preventing agents to arrest dental decay.
Community Dental Clinics
You’ll use dental instruments to clean calculus, tartar and stains from teeth and beneath the gums. You’ll also feel and examine gums for sores and signs of disease, and record and review patient medical histories.
Public Health Agencies
As a dental hygienist in a public health agency, you’ll provide clinical services or health education to improve and maintain the oral health of patients. You’ll also maintain dental equipment and sharpen and sterilize dental instruments5.
4. Individuals seeking to enter this career field may be subject to screenings such as, but not limited to, criminal background checks and drug/alcohol testing prior to externship, to attain occupational licensure/certification or employment, and throughout their careers.
Prepare For a Career That Makes You Smile.
- Observe patients’ oral abnormalities and record problems
- Offer periodontal therapies such as plaque or stain removal
- Take oral X-rays and apply fluoride and fissure sealants
- Apply dental hygiene research advances to the oral care you provide
iPad mini™ in the Classroom6
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™7. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
6. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
7. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid8.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you9.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential10 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
8. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
9. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
10. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.