Dental Assisting Program
Have you been looking at Dental Assistant Schools?
If you’re someone who is caring, outgoing and enjoys working with your hands, you should consider the Dental Assistant programs at Carrington College® and Carrington College® California. It’s tailored to those with skillful fingers and who are able to pay close attention to details. That includes one of the biggest details of all, patient comfort.
As a dental assistant, your responsibilities may include charting, patient communication and administrative functions such as scheduling. You can also help with assisting dentists with a variety of chair-side procedures.
Once you successfully complete the program, you will be prepared for an entry-level position as a dental assistant. Our institutions can provide you with the education you need to begin your career, which includes:
- A combination of classroom study and hands-on learning
- The opportunity to learn and practice skills using labs equipped with up-to-date tools and technology
- An externship at an approved oral care facility
- Preparation for national or state exams to earn the Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) credential or the Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) license
The demand for dental assistants is strong and on the rise
If you’re looking for career opportunities, you can find them in dental assisting. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of dental assistants is expected to grow 31% from 2010 to 2020.* Benefits for dental assistants vary by employer and may be contingent on full-time employment. Dental assistants can work in a variety of different settings, such as dental offices, public health facilities and specialty practices such as those dedicated to oral surgery.
Realistic training is great preparation for success
The Dental Assisting program at Carrington College and Carrington College California will help you become secure in the three types of duties that you can be expected to perform once you enter the field: clinical, laboratory and administrative. Your education begins with a broad base of knowledge on subjects ranging from anatomy of the head and mouth to sterilization techniques to front office operations. Next, you will learn specific skills and build your understanding of dental procedures performed in dental offices. As you near the end of your studies, you will complete an externship.
Once you complete our Dental Assistant training program, you should have the skills and confidence to:
- Perform necessary chair-side and administrative duties
- Take and pour dental impressions
- Educate patients about oral health care and provide post-operative care instructions
- Take dental X-rays (after state certification)
- Perform coronal polishes (after state certification)
- Communicate effectively with patients and colleagues
- Demonstrate critical thinking, respect and responsibility
To learn more about educational and career opportunities in Dental Assisting, contact one of our Enrollment Services Representatives.
Dental Assisting is available at the following campus locations
Carrington College California
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook (2010-11 Ed.)