Make This Memorial Day Memorable
Memorial Day occurs every year on the final Monday of May; this year Memorial Day falls on May 27. It is a day for us to formally remember the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. To honor their memory, Carrington College California has no classes on Memorial Day.
Formerly known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day was first celebrated to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. In the 20th Century the holiday was extended to honor all Americans who have died in war. Don’t confuse Memorial Day with Veterans Day; Memorial Day remembers those who died while serving, while Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, alive or deceased.
Memorial Day weekend provides a much needed extra day away from school and work for many, as employers and schools like us close their doors in recognition of the national holiday. So make the most of the three day weekend, and get out and do something different this Memorial Day. Create a memory.
- Teach Your Kids Something Memorable – Search for a local Memorial Day service or parade that recognizes, honors and celebrates the courage of our servicemen and women, and the sacrifices that they have made throughout the history of our great nation.
- Do Something Memorable – If you happen to have a three day weekend, go to one of the many exciting events scheduled for Memorial Day weekend. From kid fests, to music festivals, to ‘Start of Summer’ celebrations, there’s plenty of fun stuff going on, and a lot of them have free or low cost admission.
- Create Something Memorable – Many of us have creative hobbies or pastimes that have to get set-aside when we go back to school due to time pressure; this Memorial Day weekend reward yourself and take a few hours to indulge in an old hobby. Dig out those paints, pencils, or that sculpting clay…whatever your tools, create something memorable.
- Go Somewhere Memorable – We live in a beautiful State, and yet many of us never have the time to get out and see it. Take a day, look at a map and pick somewhere you’ve never been before! From the giant Redwoods north of the Golden Gate, to Death Valley, to Lake Tahoe, to the Joshua Tree State Park – there are wondrous sights everywhere in California that you’ll never forget.
- Spend it With Someone Memorable – Life, job(s), family, school, study time, money -they all put pressure on us and our personal relationships. Take some time to repair, restore or invest in an important relationship. It could be with your mother, your father, your husband, your wife, your brother, sister, or your best friend. If you do something or nothing special this coming Memorial Day weekend, do that something or nothing with someone memorable.
- Learn Somewhere Memorable – If you’re reading this and thinking to yourself, ‘these ideas all sounds great, but I really have to study’ then we won’t argue with you. You know your schedule and what you’re facing. But we will say this, why not take your books and go study somewhere different, somewhere memorable? Sit in your local park, go to the beach – learn while you sit somewhere different. You may find inspiration from your new surroundings.