Networking is an important and crucial way of putting yourself out there in your job search, which is why you should set yourself up with a LinkedIn profile.
LinkedIn gains momentum every day as a resource for employers and recruiters looking to find well-qualified candidates. That’s why a quality LinkedIn profile is becoming an essential element of a complete career-marketing package; both your resume and your LinkedIn profile need to be well organized, well thought out, and well written.
Here are a few tips for creating a professional LinkedIn profile:
- Include as much relevant information as you can and list your key achievements and experience.
- List your skills in the specialties section of your personal summary, because potential recruiters can search by keywords.
- Upload a professional photograph in your scrubs/business clothes – don’t use one from a night out.
- Connect to as many relevant people as you can, even if you’ve only worked with or met with them briefly. A short personal message will increase the chances of that person accepting your invite.
- If you use Twitter for professional purposes, then connect your Twitter account to your LinkedIn account, so any tweets are displayed in your LinkedIn newsfeed. However, don’t do this if you use Twitter for social purposes; remember potential recruiters may be watching.
- Finally, try and log into LinkedIn at least once a day; it really is a valuable tool to use in the search for your next job.
LinkedIn offers valuable networking opportunities because it allows you to raise your professional profile with key industry people and recruiters. By joining our Carrington College Alumni Network group, you can also connect with classmates, older alumni, and with Carrington Career Services.