Top 5 apps to keep your brain buzzing this summer
School's definitely out for summer, and as you slather on a fresh layer of sunscreen, you probably want to spend the next three months or so lounging around without a care in the world. Bringing a mobile phone to the beach or on a hike lets you take photos and videos, which can be immediately uploaded online for your friends and family to see. Between Instagraming, Tweeting and Facebooking, keep your mind in shape with these smartphone applications so the first day of classes in the fall are a breeze.
1. TEDTalks - Whether you're on a road trip across the states or taking a quick ride to your friend's house, TEDTalks is an incredible resource for keeping your brain active. Entertaining, enlightening and stimulating lectures range from about five to 20 minutes long, focusing on a range of topics within the technology, education and design umbrella.
2. iTunes U - The minds at Apple have teamed up with universities around the world to make supplemental education available online - mostly for free. If you want to read through a few short handouts or quiz yourself on a slew of subject matter, iTunes U has thousands of course materials available at the tap of a finger.
3. Pinterest - Still in its infancy, this smartphone application has proven to be a valuable tool for educators and students alike, providing a visually stimulating pinboard of ideas catered to your personal interests. After perusing through boards on fashion, don't be afraid to flip through the education topic, which contains new studies in a variety of disciplines along with helpful infographics.
4. Pulse - Whether you're a journalism major or graphic designer, Pulse is a one-stop application for all things current. By subscribing to magazines and newspapers like National Geographic, Dwell and The Huffington Post, you can easily sift through the most up-to-date headlines concerning your area of study.
5. Evernote - Stumble upon a really great quote in a coffee shop in the middle of Nevada? Come up with a brilliant idea while roasting marshmallows? Evernote is a handy application for storing all of your to-do, to-read and to-make lists in the palm of your hand. Take a photo of anything that gets your mind buzzing - like a cool science experiment or awesome design - and save it to your smartphone.