You believe that all animals, whether they fly, swim or walk on the end of a leash, deserve compassionate medical care. You enjoy being presented with new challenges on a daily basis. You’re also patient and understanding when it comes to dealing with people. Veterinary assisting could be the fulfilling new career you’ve been looking for.
Our program provides an education that prepares you for clinical, lab and administrative duties required as a successful veterinary assistant. You can expect to come into contact with many different types of animals from dogs and cats, to exotics and livestock. No matter which animal you’re treating, we work to give you the skills and confidence necessary to:
- Obtain patient information and maintain medical records
- Collect laboratory specimens and aid in the analysis process
- Assist with diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures
- Help with radiography and dental prophylaxes
- Demonstrate your critical thinking and information management skills
Explore the wild side of Veterinary Assisting
As a student working toward your Certificate of Achievement in Veterinary Assisting, you’ll participate in a combination of classroom, laboratory and externship experiences. Classroom lectures cover topics ranging from animal anatomy and behavior to medical terminology and emergency care. The Veterinary Assisting program is designed to prepare you for work in any of the following environments:
- Veterinary hospitals and clinics
- Emergency and specialty hospitals
- Animal shelters
- Animal control departments
- Diagnostic laboratories
- Pharmaceutical and supply distribution facilities
- Animal research agencies
As a veterinary assistant, you are expected to wear many different hats and perform a variety of tasks. One day you may be educating clients or scheduling appointments, and the next day you could be assisting in a complex surgical procedure. Every day is different. That’s what makes a career in veterinary assisting exciting, challenging and rewarding.
To learn more about educational and career opportunities as a Veterinary Assistant, contact one of our Enrollment Services Representatives.