If you’ve just read the article on becoming a better online student, you’ll know that you have to be resourceful to be successful. An excellent resource, that you must make sure to fully utilize, is your Career Services department. The department is here to provide you with the guidance and resources you need to help you to develop and implement a comprehensive career plan strategy. A strategy that may help you achieve your career goals.
Career Management is a lifelong process. Your Career Services department makes every effort to help you become proficient at self-assessment, goal setting, self-marketing, job searching and networking; all tools that will help you to distinguish yourself from your competition. The Career Services team works to nurture collaborative links between students, alumni, faculty, industry associations, and employers; all with the goal of developing effective relationships.
The team has developed an online tool to help students and alumni maximize their career search efforts. Access the Career Services pages through your student portal; then select MY CAREER SERVICES and enter a username and password. Use your User ID for your username and your birth date for your password. The resources on the portal include a Resume Center, Interview Center, Job Search Strategies Center and a Networking Center.
- Resume: Your resume is your chance to make a positive first impression with an employer; to persuade them that you have the ability to work in the position. It is critical to ensure the format along with the content focuses on the position you are pursuing. Visit the Resume Center to get tips on developing your resume along with resume samples. Make sure to submit your resume to Career Services for feedback and advice on your resume.
- Cover Letter: A well-crafted cover letter can highlight specific qualifications relevant to the position you’re applying for; it should complement your resume. Letter samples can be found in the Resume Center. You can also submit a letter to Career Services for assistance.
- Interviewing: By being well prepared for an interview, you can help build your confidence and increase your opportunity for success. To learn more about interviewing, visit the Interview Center, or schedule a mock interview with Career Services.
- Job Search Strategies: The Job Search Strategy center provides articles on current trends with conducting a job search, job lead sites, plus much more.
- Networking: Developing productive connections in the workplace and in your industry is essential to networking. The Networking Center provides tips on networking, lists of associations specific to your industry and connections to LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with more than 150 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
- Webinars: Virtual seminars are available on various career enhancement topics for students and alumni.
Remember that you are not alone; we are here for you. If you need help contact Career Services by email at CarringtonOnlineCareerService@carringtononline.edu, by phone at 1-866-933-8661 (option 3), or by mail: Attn: Career Services, Carrington College California Online, 300 Bauman Court, Wood Dale, IL 60191.